I may not be perfect, but at least I'm not fake.

I may not be perfect, but at least I'm not fake.
This page is copyrighted by Deborah Dorey Wilson, The Lebanon Truth Seekers. All rights reserved.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

An Open Letter from Candidate for Lebanon Selectman, Corinna Cole.

Hello, my name is Corinna Cole, I would like your vote for Selectman on June 9th, 2015.

I am running for Selectman because I love Lebanon. I have lived her for over 30 years and want it to be a place my children can be proud of, can afford to live and will always want to call home.... Also I have been involved in the community over the years in many ways. When I see a problem, I work to fix it... or at least find someone who can! Again and again I have heard, "you have to have the Selectmen initiate that..." So I figured why not become one!

Personally, I completed the certification to become a Maine Master Gardener this past year. There are so many Community projects that I am involved in through this program, such as Kids Can Grow and Maine Harvest for the Hungry. I would also like to start a community vegetable garden in Lebanon and create volunteer "pocket" gardens throughout the town.

Professionally, I am very interested in improving the business culture in Lebanon. I have owned Bluebird Promotions, a Marketing & Promotional business since 2005. I am an avid business networker, which promted me to start a chapter of Showcase Business Networking in Lebanon in 2011, which ran for almost 2 years. I am in the process of gathering information to create a business directory and perhaps start another networking group in the near future.

In my neighborhood, I have been a member of the Indian Lake Shores Improvement Association since 1985. Serving as the Vice President for the last 8 years. I have worked in the past with the York County Sheriff's Department to develop a Crime Watch and currently re-establishing that program with the Maine State Police to combat some neighborhood issues we are having. I was Certified as a Courtesy Boat Inspector at the 2013 Maine Milfoil Summit in February, allowing Spaulding Pond to be eligible for matching grants to fight a growing Milfoil infestation.

On the town level, I have been on two Comprehensive Planning Committees and I was elected as the Chairman of the current Comprehensive Planning Committee. Not having a Comprehensive Plan and lack of zoning has cost Lebanon millions of dollars. Such as potential business development opportunities, an example being the Shaw's distribution center that was looking at property on Route 202, decided to go elsewhere. Another example of lost opportunity...6 million dollars in grants that were earmarked for repairs of churches in historical zoned areas, unfortunately went to churches in other towns.

I have initiated many petitions over the years, such as Referendum 1 on last year's ballot. It passed and requires the Town of Lebanon to video tape meetings and make them accessible on the Town website. Allowing citizens who cannot participate in regularly scheduled meetings to keep current with what is happening in town. It may also go a long way in helping keep our government transparent and accountable which seem to be an important issue these days.

In light of some of the problems our Town has been recently experiencing. It is time to revisit that issue of having a Town Manager. The people of our town did see value in this once and a Referendum to have a Town Manager was passed (another Referendum that I initiated by petition). Only to be turned down the next year when the Selectmen at the time, who did not support a Town Manager, proposed an unreasonably high salary and an option to override the change in government without even giving the peoples decision to have a Town Manager a chance.

I understand being a Selectman is a lot of work, if you vote for me, I can assure you that I have the time and the energy to devote to the position. If you have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to contact me at corinna.cole@gmail.com or at 603-834-2030. You can also see my Facebook page Corinna Cole for Selectman, Lebanon ME. I am ready for the challenge! Please vote for me, Corinna Cole, on June 9, 2015. Thank you.

P.S. Just because so many people ask, no disrespect intended... I am not related to former Selectman Jason Cole.

No comments:

Post a Comment